Welcome to Gautham's World in MIT

Welcome to Gautham's World in MIT

Monday, March 1, 2010

7. Sivaranjini – The Mehendi Competition


It was time for Sivaranjini.
Sivaranjini was an intra college event that brought together talents from various fields. It was an event for us students to find out our hidden talents and expose them. (But I never participated in any though….!!). There were competitions like poetry, speech, drawing and stuff but I was interested in something else….well I was interested in Kolam drawing and Mehandi competitions!!!
Hangar 1
I, Indran and Vikram were sitting bored in the hangar thinking about how to pass off time and suddenly I got the interest to participate in one of the events. I knew I was artistic and so there was a mild chance that I could beat all the participating girls!!
“Shall we go try it out?” I asked Indran.
“Try what???” asked Indran and Vikram in unison.
“That competition over there….” I pointed out.
Indran beamed over at the place where I pointed out. Girls were sitting and just getting started on their Mehandi.
Indran glared back giving a disgusting look at me. I smiled biting my lips not to get ashamed and mock him. Vikram on the other hand was busy looking into his iPhone.
“Why the hell do you wanna go for that competition when there are so many ‘guy’ stuffs out there?” Vikram demanded still looking into his geeky gadget.
“That’s where you are in the lime light without any other guys in between you and the girls” I said and winked at Indran. Add the word ‘girl’ to the word ‘shit’ and Indran will eat loads of it just for ‘girl’ and not caring for the ‘shit’.
Just as expecting a cracker to burst Indran held up his eyebrows and added, “Girls!!! Oh that’s cool!!! I’m in for it man!!! But how will you participate??? What if they don’t let us participate and give us a nose cut??”
“Why does that bother you?”
“Because that girl in charge of the event looks pretty” Indran said. Vikram gave a loud yawn to mock Indran.
I saw where Indran’s sight was and looked at the girl he was talking about. She was short and fair and was wearing a black sari….not beautiful to be exact but was pretty. She was rather having extra fat around her cheeks but she looked kind of ‘headweight’.
I replied back, “Whatever she says I got answers ready” I said and smiled at him.
“Okay then let’s go for it” Indran said.
We three (actually it was just me and Indran who got up to talk, Vikram joined us to kill his boredom) got up and approached the girl. I started the conversation.
“Excuse me….I’m Gautham and these are my friends Indran and Vikram, we would like to register our names to participate in the mehandi competition.”
The girl gave a disgusting look which was thousand multiples of the one that Indran gave me a few minutes back.
“This competition is only for girls”, She said slowly but stressing the word ‘ONLY’.
“It wasn’t mentioned of such in the notice boards or the hoardings” I demanded folding my hands.
“Well it is unofficially a girl’s event” she declared herself.
 “There’s no boys ONLY event” I said in a similar tone like her.
Indran knew I was having fun teasing the girl and watched me continue mocking her. Vikram was with us but was busy with his iPhone but listening to the conversation between me and miss ‘cheesy cheeks’ (the word ‘cheesy cheeks’ may be taken either as a compliment or a comic comment, but I personally feel that the latter should suit her better).
“That’s not my problem and I can’t let you can’t participate in this event” she said showing triumph in her and paused, “Anyway which year are you and which department are you from???”
“I wanna meet the damn organizer of this festival” Vik suddenly demanded talking like he owned at least half of the college property (college property excludes the girl!!!).
I said to miss ‘cheesy cheeks’, “we’re 1year….”
And she interrupted and said, “I knew it you were first years and don’t you have any manners to talk to a senior huh?”
I got shocked and Vik was furious. Indran was controlling his laughter.
Vik asked her, “Which year and department are you?”
“Final year RPT” she replied and gave a bold look, “Why does that bother you?”
I said, “Well we said we are first years but you didn’t let me finish that we’re first year M.E and you’re junior to us”
Her jaws dropped and she felt really uneasy. It was the perfect time to flirt!!! Once the enemy defences are all destroyed, it is easy to send in the cavalry and proceed with the attack….!!!
Before I opened my mouth to start she said, “I’m sorry senior….I really am. I didn’t know you were M.Es and you guys were looking too young to be M.Es….”
That’s what’s called an ‘unexpected attack’. You go to the enemy with swords and shields and they fight with roses. She flattered us by calling us young.
But I didn’t wanna give up on the main issue….the mehandi competition!!!
“So are you gonna register our names or not then?” I demanded showing our triumph in the talks that just took place.
“Well….I….still think you can’t participate” she said with an invisible exclamatory mark on her lips.
What!!! All the talking that just took place was of no use I thought.
I went near her and said softly to her looking into her eyes, “are you girls scared that we might win the competition?” and smiled at her.
I could see her smile on her lips and she replied, “No but I personally feel that I don’t want to see you lose”
Indran’s eyes popped out and his jaws were wide open (Vik closed his jaws still looking into his iPhone).
She smiled and left.
I saw Indran’s eyes and my eyes did the talking to him
They probably said, “CORRECTED MACHI!!!!”

No comments:

Post a Comment